Adopting an Assumed LLC Name Business Services
- The right to use an assumed name is effective from the date the application is filed by the Secretary of State’s office until the first day of the company's anniversary month in the next year evenly divisible by five. The assumed name may be renewed in five-year periods.
- Domestic and foreign limited liability companies that are in good standing may adopt an assumed name electronically.
- An LLC cannot adopt an assumed name electronically if it is not in good standing; has been terminated or administratively dissolved; has been revoked or withdrawn; has expired; or must execute the adoption through the use of layered signatures or by power of attorney.
- $150 — for each year or part thereof ending in 0 or 5
- $120 — for each year or part thereof ending in 1 or 6
- $90 — for each year or part thereof ending in 2 or 7
- $60 — for each year or part thereof ending in 3 or 8
- $30 — for each year or part thereof ending in 4 or 9
- A $50 expedited fee is included because submissions are reviewed within 24 hours of receipt (excluding Saturday, Sunday and holidays).
- Payment must be in the form of a credit card — Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express.
For more information, please email the Department of Business Services or call 217-524-8008.